Thursday, October 24, 2013

Budgets..Smudgets


Anyone out there struggling with bills? Anyone out there tired of fighting with their spouse about money? I mean, can I get a AMEN!?
Ugh. I H.A.T.E. Money.
Which, really is ironic if you think about this is what I do for a living every single day. Help people with their finances. I am really quite good at helping others…just not quite brillant on my own end.
Cory and I have been married for almost 9 years; for the most part I handled the finances. Paid the bills, ran the checking, figured out how to take care of everything. Vacations, payments, buying, etc. He’d use the debit card for lunches or whatever and we’d never really talk about anything money related. The money would come out and eventually go back in.
No savings. No planning. No Talking.
Well obviously you can see the brilliance of this plan. Nope. Me either. This would be the cause of many fights, arguments, and going to bed not talking. We'd fight over his trucks, my clothes, where the money would go, etc.
So, we’ve decided to mix it up a bit. Cory took over the bills and along with that came full disclosure of our entire financial situation. YIKES. Once we took the leap and put it all out on the table, we decided the best course of action would be to each have an allowance. What? Allowance? This would be AWESOME! I was sure that I didn’t spend as much money as Cory. I take my lunch every day from home,  working closer to home would save on gas. I’d have my OWN money I could do whatever I wanted with and no explanations. Hallelujah!
We  each got our own checking account with debit card and each week we get our ‘allowance.’ The rest goes into a bill account for Cory to pay all the bills. We decided that out of our allowance would come gas, split the groceries and we’d do two date nights a month, each of us pay for one. Then we decided we’d each put money into a dedicated savings out of our allowance to do a family vacation next year. And slowly the $$$ started leaving the Hallelujah account.
Ha ha. Well. Nailed it.
So, apparently I spend WAY more money that I had realized. Hair, nail appointments, birthday presents, date nights, groceries, what about my makeup, hair supplies? I recently registered for a Marathon…$$$$, the list goes on and on and those fabulous little $$$ just keep LEAVING my account.
Allowances are HORRIBLE people. Smart, yes. But truly HORRIBLE. Miss Kimberli is getting a new education on how to manage her OWN money and still be able to do things she wants.
Well, first on the list of cuts. No more nails. This might sound easy and really a luxury I don’t need, but I’ve had nails like my entire teen and adult life. I’m not even sure if I have real finger nails under there. Guess we’ll soon find out.
Budgets are not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Veronica Hurly's "Butterfly Kisses" kit.