Saturday, March 16, 2013

Fly like a butterfly, it stings like a bee!

In my quest to become a better, healthier, toned version of myself I have taken on a new hobby.

Running Jogging Fast walking.

I wouldn't go as far to call this new adventure in my life a new years resolution, but with the new Pinterest addiction and dissatisfaction when becoming winded by climbing stairs...I've resolved to make little changes, or stretches in my lifestyle.

Starting in March, I made significant changes (for me) in my diet. I gave up milk and switched to almond milk, bumped my water intake, and gave up sweets. Now, I still drink coffee with creamer. I did attempt sugar free and I've never tasted ass but if I did, I'm willing to bet it tastes like sugar free creamer. I did stop adding two spoonfuls of additional sugar...stretching people, not breaking in half.

I also stopped any and all candy. For me this is a major accomplishment because I have a very large sweet tooth. Candy, candy, candy. I also haven't baked desserts, which my poor boys have taken the plunge to no sweets, unbeknownst to them! When I become a bit stronger at will power I will start baking again. I also added protein shakes once a day. Some days it replaces lunch and other days is a snack. I blend vanilla protein or whey (whey is fairly disgusting) with almond milk. Some days I add a banana. I'm on day 15 and down 10 lbs! I can't believe I was eating that many sweets...I seriously thought to myself, 'I'll attempt no sweets to see if there is a difference in my weight and energy, if nothing big changes, I will know I can continue on my same path!' Clearly, there is a significant difference!

In addition to the diet, I am preparing to run a 10k in June with my good friend in the Race for Grief. I have researched a few training schedules and decided to make the plunge. I did my first 2 miles after work, one day and I thought, oh this isn't too bad! Let's run a little further...out of breath?That's OK! I will walk a few minutes then take another run, walk a bit, run a bit. I'm feeling the sweat and a little soreness in my legs...love it!

I get home and once I stop running, the noodle legs kick in. OMG, maybe I pushed a little too hard? So the night goes on and the legs keep getting more sore. In fact, there is one particular muscle that I really had no idea existed until now. The best I can describe it is the muscle that connects your Va-jay-jay (yes, get over it..y'all have one) to your thigh. I have one of those and it was pissed off.

Then another brilliant thought occurred...I should run the very next morning to help stretch the muscles! O.M.G. that was a bad idea and probably the most painful 30 minutes of my life. I had a conference that day for work and went ahead and added insult to injury and wore heels. Getting up and out of chairs was similar to childbirth.

I called and talked to my athletic sister who is up to running already 2-3 miles steady. She informed me I am approaching this like a complete jack ass. Oh. Oops.

So, I took two days off and did some stretches. Headed back out the driveway in the morning and this time, it wasn't as bad! In fact, I'm able to jog a bit further each time I go. I have found a love for the misery and enjoy pushing myself. I still get sore legs, but not in the same way. I have run 4 out of 7 days the last two weeks and I've shaved 3 minutes off my mile. I also make sure when I get done that I spend at least 5 minutes really stretching my leg muscles.

I am only doing 2.2 miles each time, focusing more on endurance then distance. I had no clue how hard it is to control your breathing, while running. I was panting most the time and if my legs were doing good, I couldn't jog further because I was so out of breath! The first time I attempted to breathe was to inhale 3 steps, exhale 2 steps. The only thing successful with that was I managed to NOT hyperventilate and trip. So, instead of counting steps I take big deep breaths in and long hard exhale out. It's helping. Next on my list is getting a really good pair of running shoes and clothes. I run between 5-6 am and it's still pretty cold outside. By the time I get home, I'm dripping in sweat so my clothes are really heavy.

Today I will attempt 5 miles to see how that goes. No matter what, I am proud of myself for hanging in there and excited to run my first 'event'. Who knows, maybe this is a start of a long lasting past time to stay fit! My fellow runners...any advice...please do share!

2 comments:

Ashley :) said...

Dang woman! I need your motivations! You are doing so good!

Shauna said...

Congrats on the running and healthy eating! I don't know why those two things are so dang hard to do. But way to go. You'll do great! Keep it up!

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Veronica Hurly's "Butterfly Kisses" kit.