Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Invictus


I attended a training last week where we talked about asking the right questions. The majority of the topic talked about the importance of personal ownership and accountability. How really, all we should focus on is us as we are the only component we have control over. There were two powerful examples given, I'd like to share them. 

The first is a different spin of the Serenity prayer...

Grant me the serenity to accept the PEOPLE I cannot change, 
the courage to change the ONE I can 
and the wisdom to know it's ME. 

This resonated with me as I find myself often frustrated with work because people don't handle things in the way I would. It could be speed, the way they approach things or simple dedication to the job. What this helps me remember is not everyone is on the same career path as me. This could mean different types of dedication. One great characteristic of a leader is to be able to influence others to get things done. I'm learning that the way things are done come in all shapes and sizes!

The next is the poem by William Ernest Henley, 

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

It seems a bit dramatic for a work training, but I can't help but love this. 'I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul.' There is a movie with Matt Damon and Morgan Freeman titled 'Invictus' that I really want to see. With me, I find the reminder that no matter how bleak it may seem, I am in control of my reactions and if I let things or people bring me down. This serves as a great reminder, being as I'm the type of person who wears my heart on my sleeve and cares deeply of what other people think. 

I have received two very critical member comments since becoming a manager and it has been so difficult to keep that thick skin, take the learning from them and move forward. These examples came just in the nick of time. 

I hope these made a difference to you.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

That is a great movie, you really need to see it. You are amazing at what you do. Sometimes people only see what they want to see. Don't let that bring you down!! I miss you!

 
Blog designed by Blogger Boutique using Veronica Hurly's "Butterfly Kisses" kit.